Rohn 65G question

Paul Beckmann paul@eye.psych.umn.edu
Mon, 7 Oct 96 13:33:48 CDT

I want to put up a conservatively rated 30 foot tower for satellite
tracking (elevation and azimuth rotation) antennas and tower-mounted
equipment. I live in Minnesota so 1/2 radial ice is part of the wind-load
equation. In talking with Rohn, they say that for 80 mph, 1/2 radial
ice for a self-supporting with a balanced windload on a 10 foot crossboom
(minimal twist) with 25 sq ft of antenna would require 65G. However,
they indicated that any rotor plate or thrust bearings would have to
be custom.

The location is next to my house so, in theory, I could connect to the eve
16 feet up with a house bracket. Of course, that requires some "enhancement"
of the house's structure.

Any thoughts? Does anyone know of rotor plates/thrust bearing plates
(2 inch mast) commercially available for 65G?

Thanks.
--Paul Beckmann, wa0rse@amsat.org

P.S. I do have a state-licensed PE to look the design over. I'm just trying
to figure out which way to jump.