204CA tuning problems

Bill Hider n3rr@erols.com
Thu, 17 Oct 1996 04:13:07 -0700

AA4NC@aol.com wrote:

> I just built a HyGAin 204 and used the supposedly computer optimized 204CA
> dimensions from N6BV's antenna book. The dimensions of the element lengths
> and spacing are greatly changed from the stock 204BA. When I put it up, it
> wasn't even in the ballpark performance wise (as compared to my other 204BA)
> and the SWR curve was not good (very narrow).  It made me suspect of the
> changes (since the stock 204BA had always matched up and played well). I
> wondered if there was something I was missing, like changes needed in the
> Beta match or something? Does anyone have any experience with this ant.? I
> guess I can always make it a 204BA - I know they work well...
>
> --
> Problems:                 K7LXC@contesting.com

Call HiGain and get the 204CA manual and build it from that.  While
you're talking ot HiGain, ask them if there is any additional hardware
to buy (the Beta rods ??) to convert the 204BA to CA.  I use the 105,
205, 155 CA versions and have converted the 105BA to CA .  All of the
CAs work much better than the BAs, by several dB.

By the way, check out the HiGain www homepage, very good info here:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/hygain/

You can also model it using ELNEC, EZNEC, etc.  These models show you,
very accurately, how the actual antenna will perform.

73!

Bill, n3rr@erols.com