legal motorized towers

Richard Karlquist rkarlqu@scd.hp.com
Thu, 24 Oct 1996 12:01:05 -0700

> Cc: ham-law@altlaw.com
> Subject: Motorized Crankup Law
> From: k1vr@juno.com (Fred Hopengarten)
> Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 02:41:48 EDT
> Sender: owner-towertalk@akorn.net
>
> I have a client in a town with a FIXED maximum height of 50 feet.  The
> Bldg Inspector's reply to the question of what his position would be with
> respect to a motorized crankup tower which nests at 23-35' and would only
> occasionally be above 50' was:  Get me a list of towns which allow such
> things and I'd be happy to pass the idea in front of Town Counsel.

I said towns *tolerate* them, not allow them.  But see below.

> 2) Can you name a town which allows motorized crank up towers to go above
> an otherwise fixed height limit?
>
> Fred Hopengarten, K1VR
> Six Willarch Road * Lincoln, MA 01773-5105 * 617/259-0088
> e-mail:  k1vr@juno.com

There was a writeup in QST about 10 years ago about a guy in some
town like Rancho Palo Verdes, (or one of those overpriced areas
like W6AM lived in) where the guy had legal permission to crank up his
tower only at night.  I think he used one of those Triex ones
that was only 11 feet high cranked down and 50 feet high cranked
up.  The whole thing was on the up and up (no winks and nods :-).
     Another thing he could have done would be to mount a
conventional tower at the bottom of a pit that was 15 feet deep,
making it only 6 feet high when retracted.  If the tower was a
105 foot type, he would have a net height of 90 feet.  Perfectly
doable; all it takes is lots of money.

Rick Karlquist N6RK
rkarlqu@scd.hp.com