[TowerTalk] Bolt torques

n4si@pobox.com n4si@pobox.com
Wed, 9 Apr 1997 15:27:42 +0000

> The Rohn catalog I just received from Steve has a page titled
> "ROHN Information", dated Nov.1, 1994.  Under a heading of
> "Bolts:" are the following lines:  "Be sure to tighten all leg bolts
> until they partially flatten the sleeves, causing the sleeves to
> actually grip the legs inside. Always replace stripped bolts.
> Upon completing an installation, there should be no vertical
> movement between tower sections at the joints when the tower
> is deliberately swayed from side to side."

That info is for Rohn 20/25. I defy you to crush the sleeves on Rohn
45 with the smaller bolt; the larger bolt? maybe.

In any event, 20/25 have swaged tops to fit inside the tubing at the
bottom of the next section, whereas 45 and above have separate larger
diameter sleeves welded at the bottom to accomodate the tubing from
the top of the lower section.

If you crush 20/25 you can still get sections apart with some
wrassling and cursing. If you crush 45, that may be a different
prospect.

73, Rod N4SI
    The DXer formerly known as N9AKE
         (c) 5 November, 1996