[TowerTalk] How do u take down a tower?

Robert Chudek k0rc@pclink.com
Tue, 15 Apr 1997 04:03:49 +0100

At 08:30 PM 4/14/97 -0400, you wrote:

>My question.  How do you dismatle a tower of questionable condition?  Is a
>crane the only way?  Also if you have ever hired a crane for such work,
>what is the going price for a crane.  Seems to me it would be outragious,
>like $1500 for a few hours.  I may be low.
>
>Just curious how those of you who scraf old towers from commercial sites do
>it?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Kevin

>Kevin S. Mahler  <kmahler@visi.net>
>73 de KO4JY
>Williamsburg, VA
>
>See my homepage at http://members.visi.net/~kmahler

Several years ago I found it necessary to hire a crane
to remove my 90 foot self supporting aluminum tower at
my old QTH.  In the Minneapolis/St. Paul Minnesota area
it cost me $150.00 per hour, portal to portal.

The entire operation took 55 minutes.  Most of the time
expended was the crane operator setting up and tearing
down his rig.

The tower was hoisted up and over my attached garage and
laid down on the boulevard in front of my house.  He picked
the tower out from a thick grove of 70 foot ironwood trees.
The crane operator even helped me pull several sections apart
after it was on the ground before he drove off.

73 de Bob - K0RC