[TowerTalk] Re: Ground Rods & Ohms

Steve Zettel zettel@libby.org
Wed, 16 Apr 1997 12:19:59 -0700

>A short time ago someone indicated they had measured the resistance
>on their ground rods.  How does one do this?  Can it be done with
>something as simple as a digital volt meter?  What two points do
>you measure between?  I don't live in a particularly sandy area but
>have no idea if my ground rods (6) will actually help if lightning
>should visit.
>
>Thanks,
>73  Wayne  AJ5M  ehayes@vnet.ibm.com

The accepted way of measuring the adequacy of a ground system is the "Fall
of potential" method used by the commerical power industry. At the
hydroelectric facility where I am an operator, it is the ONLY accepted
method for checking ground screens and actual earth grounding.

Your local power company technicians may be able to help you with this.
Gary, K7FR, who lurks on this reflector, might also be tempted to shed some
light on this method.

If I can dig out the very concise and clear paper I have on it (rather than
confuse everyone on my own), I will elaborate if there is any interest.

73,

Steve Zettel  KJ7CH
Libby, MT USA