[TowerTalk] Mast safety

Chuck Dietz (KE5FI) ke5fi@wt.net
Sat, 26 Apr 1997 20:43:49 -0500

wf3h wrote:

> antenna is at top of mast...about 15' up the mast. to reach it,
> steps have been built on the mast about 3/4 of the way up. mast is 2"
> chrome-moly.

I have a 20' steel 2" mast with 1/2" wall (very heavy!) I have climbed
it with steps many times and would not hesitate to do so even with a
moderate wind.

However, I use "double safety belts" when I'm up there.  You need to be
especially careful at the top.  If you are lifting an antenna, it can
come loose with a jerk and you could pull your belt off the mast with
the antenna!  I like to have an extra step at the top that the belt goes
under and the belt has an extra wrap around the mast.  This extra wrap
or two helps keep you closer to the mast and lowers the "pucker factor."

Chuck, KE5FI