[TowerTalk] Re: Kellum Grips/THHN wire

Scott Bullock twoway@scoden.ma.ultranet.com
Tue, 5 Aug 1997 05:21:22 -0400 (EDT)

Many antenna installers use this approach around here, as a matter of fact,
when I put up an antenna at the 160' Rohn 80 Tower at the Plymouth nuke
plant several years ago, I originally used LARGE black tyraps to hold the
7/8" feedline to the tower leg, they made us go back and remove all the
tyraps and install THHN wirewraps to hold the cable. What a pain in the butt
when ur up there in the middle of the coldest stretch of the winter and then
wind is coming off the water at 30 knots. I remember it well-yikes!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this approach, as long as you don't
go overboard and crimp the cable, it makes a great hold on the cable,
provides a low profile, so you don't get ur climbing belt caught  on it, and
works great in cold weather. Best of all, I have never seen this approach
fail in all my years in the industry.

BTW for those interested in how it's done, you take the THHN wire and wrap
it several times around cable and supporting member, then take pair of blunt
nosed pliers and twist the two legs tightly for an inch or so, then cut the
excess off and push the tail so it faces down, and voila down 3-5' and do it
all again.

73 all,
Scott
KA1CLX