[TowerTalk] Was April Fools, now radiating dummy loads

Lee Buller k0wa@southwind.net
Fri, 08 Aug 1997 08:24:04 -0500

At 06:57 PM 8/7/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Roger asks:
>
>> But WAIT!  Didn't some company recently come out with a
>dipole center
>> connector that contained a large fifty ohm load resistor
>across the
>> coax terminals and the entire thing was sealed from
>prying eyes.  The
>> claim was that you could use this antenna on ALL BANDS
>with ANY LENGTH
>> OF WIRES and it would load beautifully!  I believe the
>claim was
>> accurate. I also believe the military bought loads of
>them.  I only
>> wish I were kidding on this one.
>>
>> Please,  someone out there.... tell me it wasn't so or
>please confirm
>> what I'm saying is TRUE!

I remember at QST article on this device several years ago where they took
an XRAY of the unit to show the resistor in the potting compound.  That
picture, if I remember rightly, was published too.  I thought it was pretty
gutsy of QST to expose the "fraud."  OLh, I guess it would radiate...so it
shouldn't be classified as a fraud.   Sorry.

Lee             "Recovering now nicely from email depravation...thanks Bill"
k0wa@southwind.net