[TowerTalk] new ssv tower

Scott Bullock twoway@scoden.ma.ultranet.com
Wed, 27 Aug 1997 19:42:51 -0400 (EDT)

Hi All, With some very good news to report, I also have a problem. This is
definitely the place to bring this up, as i'm sure that someone has run
across this before.

I have now finalized my new tower as a 40' Rohn ssv freestanding tower,
using the 4n and 3wn sections.  Rohn is currently drawing up the engineering
docs with a wet stamp for Mass. on them. ($300.00) Finally the gods have
shined on me! It will have a 9x9x5' concrete pad for a base. Rohn specs 4'
deep, but my local engineer says go 5' down so I will never have a problem
with frost heaving. He designs footings all day, so he knows what he is
talking about.

I have made tentative plans for a crane truck to come and lift the entire
tower up so it can be bolted to the base. The tower will be preassembled on
the ground.

I now have the antennas assembled in the back yard, after 1 week of toil and
trouble. They are a th-7dxx and an a3ws w/30 mtr kit.

Here's the problem......... I would like to assemble these to the mast on
the ground, I plan on using a 10' Rohn mast. The a3ws will go at the top of
the mast, and the th-7 will go 4' up from the bottom. I am going to build a
wooden jig to hold the mast up temporarily while the antennas are assembled
on it.  What I would like to do is while the crane is here, to have him lift
the whole shooting match up to the top of the tower and drop it right in,
and all I would have to do is to bolt the mast into the thrust bearing and
the t2x rotator.

I have met with the crane company to show them exactly what needs to be
done, and like myself he couldn't come up with a good answer on how to
disconnect the crane's ball/hook from the top of the mast, without climbing
the mast. Me, I definitely don't have the nads to climb the mast! :)

How the heck do I get the antennas to the top with the crane, and disconnect
the cable after????????????

I know some one of you guys on the reflector can come up with a real slick
idea, so have at it!

Going to be a real first class install when it's done, going to try and take
some digital pictures for the reflectorees.

Thanks,
Scott
KA1CLX

P.S. Any donations gladly accepted for the concrete fund. :)

P.S.S. what is the general consensus on 6' seperation on these antennas? Is
it enuf?