[TowerTalk] new ssv tower

Donnie Murray (KE4RNA) ke4rna@Traveller.COM
Wed, 27 Aug 1997 22:10:04 +0000

>How the heck do I get the antennas to the top with the crane, and
>disconnect the cable after????????????

What I would do, using a 12' nylon sling, is to choke the mast under
the th-7, then bring the sling up and use a half hitch under the
a3ws. The trick is, and the operator may not have wanted to suggest
this, is to tape the spring loaded safety catch, inside the hook
under the head-ache ball  open so that when all the tension is off
the sling the hook will come out and the half hitch will slide down
the mast. I've done this many times on various rigging situations. I
realize and fully understand what that safety catch is for, but more
times than not the safety catch is already missing from the hook
anyway. The weight of the ants and mast being lifted will be on the
sling under the th-7, the half hitch at the top will hold everything
vertical. This will work.

73/DX,
DONNIE, KE4RNA