[TowerTalk] Connector insertion loss

Dale Martin kg5u@hal-pc.org
Sat, 30 Aug 1997 21:12:51 -0500

On Saturday, August 30, 1997 15:37 PM, Steve Daniel[SMTP:daniels@bellsouth.net] wrote:
>I have had an ongoing discussion with a fellow ham. As we have been
>unable to resolve the question to our mutual satisfaction I have decided
>to submit it to the group. If it is a topic that has been covered
>before, I apologize. I did try the contesting.com search engine and came
>up empty. The question is, does splicing together 2 pieces of coaxial
>cable result in any significant increase in the loss characteristics of
>the cable? For the purpose of discussion (and to make it real, to me) I
>am talking about 30 mhz and below, RG-213 or 9913 type coax and properly
>soldered PL-259 connectors and a good quality double female connector,
>all nicely tightened and properly weatherproofed. Any thoughts on the
>db/splice loss would be appreciated. 73, Steve, NN4T.
>
>--
>Search:                   http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search

Steve,

Somewhere, in the deep, dark recesses of an old NCJ magazine
there is an article by K2TNO, Bill Schrader, in which he describes
the results of a demonstration he did using multiple double female,
double male, straight and right angle connectors, connected in
series, fed with a signal generator, swr meters, and a dummy load.
The bottom line was that, even with more than a dozen of these
connectors in line, the swr and loss was minimal, even at UHF
frequencies.

I looked for the text file I wrote up and sent to someone on the
tower reflector, but could not find it (has anyone done a Find for
*.txt files on their computer recently??  It's housekeeping time!!).

Neither did I find the article title on the NCJ Cumulative Index
(curious....).

Maybe whoever I sent the text file to on the reflector will remember
it and put it up for you and all to read.

73,

Dale Martin, KG5U
kg5u@hal-pc.org
http://www.hal-pc.org/~kg5u