[TowerTalk] High Voltage

Ken Freedman n1qqv@cshore.com
Tue, 02 Dec 1997 21:52:20 -0500

Dale wrote:

>In responding to the querry about what type of coax to use, KC5UOO
>suggested running 110 Vac to the top of a tower to operate an antenna
>switch.  Please note that this is potentially LETHAL unless industrial
>grade installation guidelines are used throughout the project.  That
>means running metal-type conduit up the tower for the AC power line.

  Absolutely right, Dale, and use "rain tight" compression fittings and
outdoor boxes (sometimes called "Bell" boxes), NOT the standard set screw
type fittings if you use EMT.  Better yet, use electrical grade galvanized
pipe and outdoor boxes.  Pipe is more work, but stronger and waterproof
when assembled correctly.  A ground fault breaker is a must!

  We all have different comfort levels where high voltage is concerned.
One of the hats I wear is that of industrial electrician, and I routinely
work with 480 vac equipment installed outdoors, so I am comfortable with
the concepts involved here.  If you are not comfortable with the situation,
leave it to a professional, or find another method of accomplishing what
you need to do.

73, Ken

Ken Freedman
AKA: N1QQV/QRP  VE, EC Madison CT, QRP-L
Living Proof That, "You don't have to be a blonde to be light headed!"