N connectors-BAD DEAL!!!

Bill Hider n3rr@erols.com
Sat, 01 Feb 1997 03:18:48 -0800

k4sb@avana.net wrote:

> Just thought this would be interesting..especially from one who has stayed away from N
> connectors like the plaque.
>
> Was at HRO this morning to pick up a small 440 beam, and knew I would have to try N connectors
> for the coax from the antenna to the hardline....
>
> They have a NEW N connector which installs basically the same way a PL-259 does...No fooling
> with brushes, washers, gasgets, ect.
>
> BTW, does anyone know if a VHF/UHF reflector exists?
>
> 73, Ed
>
> -------------------------------------
> Name: Ed Sleight
> E-mail: k4sb@avana.net
> Date: 1/31/97
> Time: 6:24:15 PM

Ed, those "PL-259 like" N connectors are real bad news.  They are not 50
Ohms. Look inside the connector.  You will see that the "terrain" inside
is irregular.  They are very poor at VHF and higher.  Stay away from
these.  Not having to fool with brushes, washers, gaskets is NO
savings!  I use N connectors exclusively on all my outdoor connections
for my HF and VHF cables.  I have over 60 N connectors in my outdoor
cable system which includes RG-213 and LDF-4-50A Andrew hardline.

A word to the wise...

Bill, N3RR