Tower Loading

Steve Sawyers n0yvy sawyers@inav.net
Thu, 06 Feb 1997 20:42:50 -0600

Chad Kurszewski WE9V wrote:

> >I'm waving and holding the TIA-222-F Tower Structure Standards.
>
> Okay, does that doccument show the calculations??

The TIA-222-F Tower Structure Standards shows an accepted method of
determining wind areas and wind loading based on simplified and
standardized formula. It provides wind speed design requirements based
on a once in 50 year occurence for the United States. This and about 2
years of engineering school gets you the loads the tower has to
withstand. TIA-222-F refers to the appropriate structural standards for
performing the necessary strength calculations that are taught in the
last two years of engineering school. TIA-222-F also includes
standardized information for the design of tower foundations and
anchors. The standardized designs have to be compared against actual
soil conditions to assure they are adequate.

The standardized foundations are included to provide an equivalent basis
for early project cost estimation and comparison, i.e. before you do the
soil probes and tests and then actually dig the holes. They are not
necessarily appropriate for final build specifications.

de n0yvy steve
Steven H. Sawyers PE
ARRL Volunteer Consulting Engineer