Towerbase -- how close to a house?

Steve Sawyers n0yvy sawyers@inav.net
Mon, 10 Feb 1997 21:55:38 -0600

Generally you want to the bottom of the tower hole into "undisturbed
earth". If you have a basement, the original basement excavation may
have been farther out than 3'. The other concern is that a tower base
close to a basement wall will place pressure on the basement wall if it
is too close. Too close is variable depending on soil conditions and how
big/deep a tower foundation you have.

My general rule of thumb is 1.5 times the foundation depth from the edge
of the tower foundation to the basement wall, unless you run the tower
foundation well below the basement foundation or house bracket the tower
rigidly to the house.

If you only have footings - i.e. no basement or crawlspace excavation -
then no problem.

You might want to talk to a local contractor or engineer who is familiar
with the soils and basements in your area.

de n0yvy steve