Crankup safety

dick@pobox.com dick@pobox.com
Thu, 13 Feb 1997 17:47:03 -0500 (EST)

13 FEB - 1635 CST

To All...

I climb my crank-up (TRIEX DX-70) *ONLY* when it is fully retracted and
blocked.  I have used the ladder against the bottom section technique
(tower fully retracted) and have come to the conclusion there is far
more hazard using a ladder which can easily slide off the side of the
tower.  Yes, I tied the ladder to the tower after I got to the top of it
- but it is still an iffy proposition.

As for the blockers, I use two pieces of angle iron.  It takes a few
minutes to work the tower slightly up and down to get the iron properly
placed. But when it is inserted and the tower "nudged" a wee bit lower,
they are locked into place and almost all of the strain is removed from
the cables.  One piece of angle iron is probably enough - but I believe
in using both a belt and suspenders - and this spreads the load across
two sets of the diagonal braces.

FYI, my crank-up has "positive pull-down" and there is a mechanical stop
only for the first moving section.  The other tower sections are
supported by the cables full-time.

73 - Dick Isely, WD9GIG