TB3 Thrust Bearing

n4si n4si@techinter.com
Sun, 12 Jan 1997 06:07:57 +0000

> I'll try a simple cleaning first, of course, but if there is internal damage
> I was wondering if these can be rebuilt?

I doubt it, Jon. That "bearing" consists of two castings with a
groove milled on the inside and outside of the respective pieces. The
castings then nest, one inside the other, and ball bearings are
introduced into the "race" formed by the two grooves through a hole
in the outer casting.

The bearings are much harder than the castings, and once the
castings have been damaged, I don't see how they could be
remachined, save the possibility of using larger balls. Then,
however, I would question the integrity of the structure.

Considering the relatively low price of the TB3, you should probably
consider it a throw-away.

73, Rod N4SI
    The DXer formerly known as N9AKE
         (c) 5 November, 1996