[TowerTalk] Identify Rotator??

KJ6Y@aol.com KJ6Y@aol.com
Tue, 8 Jul 1997 20:10:13 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 97-07-08 08:36:13 EDT, n1qqv@cshore.com (Ken Freedman)
writes:

<< Hi Gang,

      I was given a rotator but there is no control box and no schematic.
 It looks pretty old outside but not in too bad shape inside.  There is
 nothing by way of ID on the outside.  I'll try to describe it:

 It's composed of two major castings, a top (bell shaped) with u-bolts for a
 mast, and a bottom with u-bolts for a mast. Two smaller castings combine to
 form a double row thrust bearing with 6 captive balls on each side and the
 carrier for the stamped gears and a 4 pole (AC?) motor.  There is no brake.
  There is a pivoting mechanical stop that acts on the ring gear and allows
 about 115 degrees of rotation.

 Internally, on the side of the motor, there is a paper label that has
 written on it: 50374 08   CDE 1077 602.  It uses 4 wires: 2 plus a common
 for the motor and 1 (with common) for a pair of contact points.

 This doesn't look like anything I would want to use on the top of the tower
 I'm putting up!  On the other hand, it might be useful for lighter duty if
 I can get it to run.  Can anyone tell me what it is, and maybe what voltage
 it runs on??

 TNX and 73, Ken

Ken, with CDE on the motor it priobably is an old CDE which was bought out by
HyGain a few years ago. With four wires it is possibly a AR-22 or somr\ething
on that order. Used for TV antennas or light VHF-UHF antennas. Without a
control box it's not much good but you may find the control box at a swap
meet.
Good luck.
Skip, KJ6Y
Communications Service Co