[TowerTalk] beam headings

TexasRF@aol.com TexasRF@aol.com
Tue, 8 Jul 1997 22:28:40 -0400 (EDT)

I have the good fortune of owning a copy of W5UN's fine EME program
"Skymoon". One of the utilities in this program displays the sun position at
your qth at any desired time. Interestingly, even though the earth is
rotating only 1 degree in four minutes as pointed out by Earl Cunningham, the
actual azimuth direction of the sun at my qth today when the sun passed
zenith changed by 1 degree in only 47seconds. How is this possible, you ask?
Well, maybe some of the old navigators out there will clue us in as it is
beyond my scope of understanding to explain it. But it is real and it is
fact. Apparently the great creator of all geometry made it that way!
The amount of azimuth change at your qth will depend on the lattitude of the
location.

The only reason for mentioning this is that it shows the need to be very
precise in your timing if you want to acheive that ultimate accuracy we all
work toward.

73 de Gerald Williamson, K5GW

Search:			  http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search.htm