[TowerTalk] ALUMINUM V COPPER

ROBERT WANDERER aa0cy@robertwanderer.gardnerville.nv.us
Sun, 13 Jul 1997 12:41:03 -0700

Many insurance companies will limit what they pay out on such a claim the first time.
Many insurance companies will not pay out on a (second) strike unless you've proven you've
taken precaustions to prevent damage. The first organization through our lightning protection
seminar was an insurance company.

A good system (like ours) has both multi-strike and direct strike capability. At worst, our
devices will die to save yours.

Of course, you do what you think best. It's amazing how quickly one converts after they've
been hit!

Install a #2 Iron golf club at the top of your tower and you'll be totally safe. As Lee Trevino
once said, "Not even God can hit a #2 Iron!"

73, Bob AA0CY
----------
From:  Barry Kutner[SMTP:w2up@itw.com]
Sent:  Saturday, July 12, 1997 8:54 AM
To:  CQK8DO@aol.com
Cc:  towertalk@contesting.com
Subject:  Re: [TowerTalk] ALUMINUM V COPPER

On 12 Jul 97, CQK8DO@aol.com <CQK8DO@aol.com> wrote:

> << A 100' roll of our 1.5"-wide copper strap lists for
>       $100.95 >>
> Ya know, I only need about a thousand feet of that stuff to do the job up
> right...

You have to look at the cost-benefit ratio. I presume you are
insured, so why spend mega-bucks for protection which probably
wouldn't work on a direct hit, anyway. Do you think your homeowners
ins. co. is going to give you an "ultimate lightning protection
discount?"

I believe reasonable lightning protection makes sense (after all, we
still have a deductible), but why go overboard? That's what insurance
is for...

--
Barry Kutner, W2UP              Internet: w2up@itw.com
Newtown, PA         FRC         alternate: barry@w2up.wells.com