[TowerTalk] Meters

Del Seay seay@Alaska.NET
Tue, 03 Jun 1997 07:17:42 -0700

John Hughes wrote:

> Of course you're right.  Not too many would deny that.  It's just that we
> don't want to change.  Well, we want to, but we've got too much invested in
> our own crazy system.  Look at it this way.  I believe the being a
> vegatarian is much healthier and in keeping with good karma.  But I ain't
> capable of switching off my burgers and dogs, etc now.
>
> We might try to make the next generations more flexible and open to it
> (especially for scientific pursuits) but that's our best hope.
>
> :) 73 de John, ks4xn
>
> On Tue, 3 Jun 1997, Chris R. Burger wrote:
>
> > > The metric system is no easier than the English system in common everyday
> > > use. Sure, you can move the decimal point easily in the metric system, but
> > > so what? How often do we move decimal points?
> > You sure haven't used the metric system!
> >
> > One of the prime advantages of the metric system is that you don't
> > need fractions.  You only have to typeset a few documents containing
> > the lovely 1-3/64" (or is that 1 minus 3 divided by 64 seconds?) type
> > measurements before you realise that the metric system has its
> > advantages!
> >
> > Some questions:
> >   How many inches to a mile?
> >   How many ounces in a ton?
> >   How many cubic inches in a gallon?
> >   And if you're east of the Atlantic?
> >
> > Lemmesee, the answers are easy:
> >   5280ft/mile x 12"/ft = 63 360"/mile
> >   16ounces/lb x 2240lbs/ton = 35 840ounces/ton
> >   I give up.  But whatever the conversion factor is, it's different
> >     on the other side of the Atlantic by something like 20%.
> >
> > Now try the equivalent questions for the metric system:
> >   mm per km?
> >   g per ton?
> >   ml per l?
> >   What is the mass of a litre of water?
> >   West of the Atlantic?
> >
> > Answers:
> >   1 000 000 mm/km
> >   1 000 000 g/ton
> >   1000 ml/l
> >   1 kg, of course
> >   And, gee, west of the Atlantic it's the same!
> >

> > > Metrites criticize the English system as arbitrary. But at the end of the
> > > day, I can always find my foot.
> > I dare say your foot may not be an exact twelve inches...
> >
> > Besides, the base unit of the SI system is derived from the
> > circumference of the earth--the circumference over the poles is
> > 40 000 km.
> >
> > > I once tried a 25 meter tower, but found that an 82-foot one worked better.
> > That's only because it sounds higher, thereby lowering your voice by
> > at least three full tones when you tell the station you're working!
> >

> > Now, to relevant stuff:  Tool and hardware sizes are much simpler in
> > the metric system.  For example, spanners/wrenches/sockets/nuts/bolts
> > are numbered in their mm size, which is an integer.  Instead of
> > having to look for a 17/163" tool, you can simply grab a 12.  Bolts
> > are similarly numbered by diameter (e.g. an 8 mm bolt).  And, best of
> [...]

The U.S. isn't always right - but the U.S. measuring system is still the
best. And if you think the metric system is always standard, try working
on a European auto with JA metric wrenches.

By the way, John, why would anyone who made it to the top of the
food chain, want to be a vegetarian?
de KL7HF

Search:			  http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search.htm