[TowerTalk] Rain Static - Anything to Do?

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Sat, 1 Mar 1997 19:00:58 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 97-03-01 16:59:07 EST, RWeissman@cognizantcorp.com
(Weissman, Robert E. (Westport)) writes:

<< Several years ago, there was an article in one of the ham magazines that
 described the use of static wick dischargers to reduce p-static noise.
 These wicks were, as I recall, about 6" long and were mounted either on
 the ends of the boom or near the ends of the elements. I don't remember
 what the material was, but it wasn't metal and was a high resistance
 conductor.  Noise reduction in the 20-30 dB range was claimed.  Has
 anyone had experience with these devices.  And, if they work, does
 anyone know where they can be found? >>

       Yes, these devices are used occassionally for commercial tower
applications.  The theory is that they dissipate the static build-up before
it gets big enough to attract a lightning leader.  Some users in lightning
prone areas such as Florida swear by them.

    TOWER TECH handles the Tower*Guard, a 24 inch diameter ball that is
mounted at the top of the tower.  The tower has to be connected to a good
ground system or else the static charge doesn't have anywhere in which to
bleed.  They are $99.50 and are made out of stainless steel for long service
life.

73,  Steve  K7LXC