[TowerTalk] Rain Static - Anything to Do?

C. Logan Dietz (KE5FI) ke5fi@wt.net
Sat, 01 Mar 1997 18:20:36 -0800

Pete Smith wrote:

> This morning, there was a steady spring rain outside when I turned on the
> radio, and as a result I had rain static

I agree with Rolf that insulated wire will help with static build up on
wire antennas.  I seem to remember that we found that out with the
rhombic at K2USA.  I definately also remember that when you use insulated
wite, the resonant freq can be as much as 5% lower according to the type
of insulation.  I did not believe this was possible, but proved it to
myself (and N5RP) when we built a triband quad for field day using
insulated wire and it was resonant below all three bands!

Chuck, KE5FI