[TowerTalk] Tower cement base

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Sat, 08 Mar 1997 19:24:04

At 10:26 AM 3/8/97 -0500, K4OJ@aol.com wrote:
>I doubt seriously that a tower base of size will ever lift up and outta the
>ground - your enlarging the bottom of the hole more than anything else
>increased the weight of it - just my opinion.
>
>Jim, K4OJ

I'm inclined to agree.  For years the Department of State ARC (W3DOS) used
a Cl-36 atop 20 feet of Rohn 25 on top of a 100-foot office building.  The
Rohn wasn't attached to the roof at all, because the building management
wouldn't let them pierce the roof membrane.  Instead, they ran horizontal
guys from the bottom of the tower to each of the three guy anchors (in
masonry on the building), and tightened all 6 "guys" appropriately.  The
downforce of the upper guys and the weight of the tower kept the base
firmly in place on the roof.

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@contesting.com