[TowerTalk] Big 20M arrays

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Fri, 28 Mar 1997 10:50:53 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 97-03-28 10:07:24 EST, tacoll@ix.netcom.com writes:

> No, but I have seen a similiar setup for 20M.  6 elements if I
>  recall.  It was published in QST many many years ago.  It made the
>  cover shot, and was mounted on a windmill tower with a long
>  mast.  All four yagis were mounted on the mast, with the lower set
>  right at the top of the tower.  I remember the author used wood
>  for the sidearms.  It was in the 60's or early 70's QST, if I
>  recall...one of the smaller style issues.

      Yes, I think you're referring to Frank Clements, W6KFC's station.  As
the owner of Triex, he had lots of steel and aluminum at his disposal.

    The four 6L antennas were eventually supplemented by two more for a total
of six 6L beams.  The bottom part of the tower was a commercial type
free-standing tower and the top part was a rotatable Sky Needle.  The
antennas were hooked up to a voting computer system that determined what
combination of antennas gave the best signal.  Needless to say, this was a
very effective system.

    An identical system was built in Finland by Simon, OH8?, and was financed
by a research grant for propagation studies.  I think Simon's was the first
one and gave Frank the idea and incentive.  That station was dismantled years
ago.

     You want to own the band?  That's how you do it.

73,  Steve  K7LXC