[TowerTalk] Rohn Parts Sources?

Roderick M. Fitz-Randolph w5hvv@aeneas.net
Fri, 2 May 1997 01:17:01 +0000

>>WG0G/2 wrote:
>>
>>> I just order 7 sets from Texas Tower along with some other Rohn parts,
>>> not problems.  If you look in the Rohn Consumer Products book, it
>>
>>The Texas Towers joint bolts are plated, not galvanized. But what really
>>slayed me was getting plated U bolts on the "Rohn accessory shelf" I bought
>>from them. How is that possible?
>>
>>Regards,
>>Pete
>>KS4XG
>
>What's impossible is to get ANYTHING BUT plated U-bolts or tower leg bolts
>for 25 tower from Rohn.  The plated U-bolts and tower leg bolts are standard
>Rohn issue for 25 tower.
>
>45 tower is another story.  The hardware for that is galvanized.
>
>Stan  w7ni@teleport.com

I was concerned that virtually all the Rohn towers I had taken down had very
badly rusted bolts and nuts, requiring me to (in many instances) shear the
bolts while attempting to back off the nut.  The rust that appeared for
some distance down the legs of the tower below the rusted nuts and bolts also
concerned me esthetically if not structurally.

As a result, when it came time for me to put up "The Final Tower/Antenna", I
obtained stainless bolts and nylon-insert lock nuts.  My reasonging was that,
if the tower was up for a considerable length of time, the stainless bolts
(in pristine condition as they are 5 years later) would be much less of a
hazard to the tower's integrity than the nearly rusted through plated steel
bolts that come with the tower sections.  There is not a smidgeon, a scintilla
of rust anywhere on my 130 foot tower 5 years after the installation.  I
am most pleased with my decision to go with stainless bolts.

Remember, flames give me gas!  You know that gas and flames don't mix!!

Rod,  W5HVV