[TowerTalk] How much concrete??

Gary Schwartz garyk9gs@solaria.sol.net
Thu, 9 Oct 1997 01:19:39 -0500 (CDT)

A local ham is giving me a 27 foot steel light standard.  It is tapered,
going from about 8 inch diameter at the base, to about 3 inches at the
top.  It is octagonal in cross section and has a wall thickness of
approximately 3/16 inch. They are originally designed to be free standing.

I want to use this strictly for supporting VHF verticals for packet and
perhaps small 6M and 2M yagis. Since I live on a hill, the height is
perfect for this application.

I have two questions:

1) How does one determine the proper size concrete base?  The manufacturer
is unknown.

2) Does anyone have any ideas on how to best mount this thing?  I have
thought of setting a suitable sized (8 inch OD) piece of well casing in
concrete, with perhaps 2 feet sticking out, and bolting the light standard
to the well casing after lowering the light standard over it.  I will probably
have to fabricate some type of shims to take care of the taper.
Any other ideas?

73,
Gary K9GS
 /   FP/K9GS, TO5M   |Society of Midwest Contesters |____________________