[TowerTalk] Phased verticals on slope of a hill?

Gary Schwartz Gary Schwartz <garyk9gs@solaria.sol.net>
Thu, 9 Oct 1997 01:41:36 -0500 (CDT)

I would like to experiment with a pair of phased verticals on 80M this
winter. The place where I want to locate them is rather steeply sloped,
dropping approximately 10 feet over a distance of 66 feet in the desired
direction.  My questions:

Should the downhill vertical have it's base elevated so that it is the
same level as the feedpoint of the uphill vertical, or just mount them
both the same distance above ground?  I have not found any references to
this yet.  What happens to the pattern?

I might also put a second pair in a different direction.  In this case,
the slope is not in line with the desired direction, it being at an angle.
Again, how should the bases be with respect to each other and ground?
What happens to the pattern?

Finally, the ground system for either vertical will be tilted downhill for
both antennas in the array...what will this do to the pattern??

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

73,
Gary K9GS
 /   FP/K9GS, TO5M   |Society of Midwest Contesters |____________________