[TowerTalk] REAL HIGH

george fremin iii geoiii@bga.com
Sat, 11 Oct 1997 07:07:22 -0500 (CDT)

>You have arrived at, in my opinion, the correct number of antennas for
>contesters. Three different antennas gives you a variety of takeoff angles
>that should cover most combinations of conditions. At the same time, it is
>not so many that you spend your contesting hours switching back and forth,
>experimenting with antennas.
>
>In the multi-ops I've built, I've intentionally limited the number of
>antennas for any given band to three at a time to prevent lost time from
>operators continually experimenting with antennas.

I agree with the above.  Of course as you learn what the
antennas usually do - yoiu will make the choice
without having to worry if some other antenna is better.

At N5AU we had more antennas but most were fixed
so that you switched to the "best" antenna for that
direction.  I sure is fun to be able to turn an antenna
switch and "find" that station that is calling - not to
mention faster.

I think that with three antennas you can cover most of the
major directions that are open at a given time an thus
limit the amount of time that you spend turning antennas.

--

George Fremin III
Austin, Texas C.K.U.     "It is hard to be in one place at the same time."