[TowerTalk] Antennas and wind

Lynn D. Osterbur no9z@prairienet.org
Sat, 11 Oct 1997 09:37:11 -0500 (CDT)

  My rotor brake has been sticking the last month or so and in the heavy
winds, the antennas turn.  I have a klm kt34xa and a 2 el 40 by cushcraft.
After a short period of time in heavy wind the booms would always end up
in line with the direction of the wind and the front of the kt34xa (the long
part of the boom) would always be downwind ( or pointed in the direction the
wind is blowing).  It seems to me that this would be the least amount of wind
resistance.  Since the XA is not mounted in the center of the boom, there is
a mechanical advantage which forces the antennas down wind.
Just my opinion, I could be wrong  (Dennis Miller, HBO)
73
Lynn