[TowerTalk] Spreading HD Thimbles

K4RO Kirk Pickering k4ro@music-city.tdec.state.tn.us
Wed, 15 Oct 1997 18:21:36 -0500

What is the best method to spread the opening of the heavy duty
3/8" and 1/2" thimbles?  I'm finding the 3/8" ones a considerable
challenge in the field, and just doable with a vise on the bench.
The 1/2" ones I can't even spread on the bench vise using a small vise
and vise grips; forget about field installation.  I'm talking about the
very heavy duty thimbles here, and not the mickey mouse ones from home
depot which can be spread with a butter knife.

I'm attempting it with a vise-grip and a 10" crescent wrench (yes
that's probably my problem.)  I know that they must be "twisted" open,
and can't be (easily) "pried" open.  What are you using to successfully
get a good enough grip and sufficient leverage to open and close a 1/2"
HD thimble?  Any tips much appreciated.

-Kirk  K4RO