[TowerTalk] Tower Question

Bill Hinkle kb3aug@juno.com
Sun, 31 Aug 1997 23:01:32 -0400

Hello all,
                  I'm getting close to digging the Big hole for my crank
up. I am going to have to put the tower behind the house and the house
has Alum. siding on it. Will that effect a 1/4 wave sloper for 75m? The
house is right in the way to EU. How far away should I put the tower from
the house? Is 50 feet good? I think I will be able to tie the low end of
the sloper to the peak of the roof about 12 feet off the ground. The
tower is 54 feet tall. I don't think that will give me a 45 degree angle.
If I move the tower farther away I'll be in the hay field and will have
to hear from my sister who lives across the street and makes the hay
(dealing with her is harder then dealing with planing and zoning, I
think).  Sorry for all the questions but, working with a short tower is a
lot harder then working with the 100 footer I had when I was in MD. My
Tribander is at 30 feet now and I can not hear half of the "good stuff"
that comes across the cluster.  Short antennas and mountains make a BIG
difference.

P.S. Thanks to all who responded to my switch box question. I'm going to
mount it about 6 feet off the ground on its own pole.

                     Thanks,

                      Bill KB3AUG

                      Riverton,WV