[TowerTalk] Radio Shack Iron.

Roderick M. Fitz-Randolph w5hvv@aeneas.net
Fri, 17 Apr 1998 06:48:10 -0500

I seem to swim upstream an awful lot:  I watched Mike Gibson,
KH6ND, use a Radio Shack soldering iron (changed the tip out
for one of the heavier ones so that the amount of heat sinking
ability was greater) at the 120 foot level on a day when the
wind chill was 6 (that's six) degrees.  He was soldering the
spade lugs on my rotor cable.

It was so cold that he climbed down at one point, found a
large cardboard box, cut it so that it made a large flat
surface that could be bent to a desired configuration, took
it back up and used that as a personal wind protector.
Doubtless it also served to keep the wind off the butane
soldering iron tip, as well.

I am not denigrating the other soldering irons/pencils that
some of the towertalk reflectees are boosting.  I am simply
saying that I have had good experience with the Radio Shack
model.  Of course, if you insist on trying to use the original
tip (linear tapered to a very fine, small tip designed for small
printed circuit board construction) then I could certainly
understand your comments.  The one I use has successfully
transferred enough heat to be able to properly install coax
connectors on coax in cold weather.  I really like mine.  The
Radio Shack butane soldering iron has performed yeoman service
for me.

So there!  Take that!  In your face! <<Grin>>

Flame suit on.

Rod, N5HV
w5hvv@aeneas.net