[TowerTalk] Tower Repairs

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Sat, 1 Aug 1998 11:30:00 EDT

<< In about two weeks I will begin repairing an HDBX-40 tower that
 has been up for about fifteen years. All of the bolts appear to be in
 fair condition and the only deterioration appears to be some surface
 rust. I will be removing the current antenna and installing a new one,
 also I'll be removing the top section, rehabing the rotator, and
 installing a thrust bearing.

 	Some friends have suggested I install some temporary rope guys
 during this work period. The tower is on a heavily wooded lot and
 anchoring to a stout tree is no problem. I would like some opinions from
 others who have done these same kind of repairs. >>

       Hmm. Unless there is something really wrong with the tower rendering it
questionable to climb or you have a really compelling reason to temporarily
guy it, it's really not necessary. If it really is a HDBX40, it is one hell-
for-stout tower (for a BX).

      Other than touching up the rust spots and checking the rivets, it should
be good to go.

Cheers,  Steve   K7LXC

http://www.championradio.com
Champion Radio Products