[TowerTalk] Preventitive Maintenance. Was... KLM & Other Paste

Bill Fisher - W4AN w4an@contesting.com
Fri, 21 Aug 1998 11:43:16 -0400

>you only have two possible alternatives:  Either (1) Dismantle and properly
>clean all the aluminum

This brings up another point.  Any time I have to take down an antenna or
stack of antennas, I make sure to completely take apart the antenna, clean
the joints, Noalox the joints (very lightly), and tighten them back down.
Many of the hose clamps will ultimately be replaced because they wont
tighten again.  Next I throw away the coax used to feed the antenna all the
way to the hardline and I replace the balun.

My idea is as long as the antenna is on the ground already, I might as well
go through it completely.  If I have it on the ground now, it means there
isn't a contest that I need it for soon.  I might as well go through it now
rather than the antenna or components failing the weekend before CQWW SSB.
Or worse, having it fail and not know it until after the contest when I get
beat on some band by a few hundred QSO's.

73

Bill, W4AN/VE7  - On vacation!