[TowerTalk] Tower owner newbie

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Tue, 1 Dec 1998 18:35:50 EST

In a message dated 98-12-01 16:12:31 EST, plusardi@mbta.com writes:

<< from what I read, I need to determine the wind factor for my county and
 then check my antenna (probably a cushcraft A3S tri-band)

       That's the first thing. You can go to Champion Radio Products
(www.championradio.com) and look it up.

 >>If I mount my antenna against the house (18' peak), I can secure the
 bottom tower section to the house at the 17' mark.  I suppose I need to
 pour some sort of concrete footing for the base (how deep?)

      Get some current catalogs (US Towers and Tri-Ex) and you can make some
inferences by comparing similar towers.

      If you're going to get a permit, you'll need PE  stamped calculations
which may be pretty tough for an old used tower.

>> does anyone have any good way of safely raising and lowering a tilt-over
 tower once erected?

      Yes - don't. Since you don't know what kind of tower it is, I would not
recommend any hip-pocket engineering for this device. Why would you want to
tilt it over anyway?

      I would suggest using a boomtruck to pick the tower up and lower into
place. Safe, quick and reliable.

>should I make so that it tilts away from the house
 or drop it along the roof line? >>

      Why again? It's too much engineering and fabrication that doesn't
justify doing it IMO.

Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC