[TowerTalk] Carolina Windom as inverted V

w8ji.tom w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 08:59:58 -0500

Hi Marty.

> Hello to all.  I am considering joining your reflector as I have always
> been interested in different types of antennas.

This is a great reflector for antenna discussions, both the mechanics and
electrical designs are covered by some serious antenna people.

> mast (push-up pole) on the end of my house.  The pole is about 37 feet
> at the top.  I think this would allow me to have the entire vertical
> radiator in the air.  I'm wondering what the major difference is between
> a flat-top configuration and an inverted v, and how much signal I will
> lose

Claims about the feedline being an "effective vertical" for DX are mostly
unfounded (wishful thinking). When an antenna mixes two polarizations
(without proper phase shift) the result is a pattern that has elliptical
polarity. It is neither perfectly vertical or perfectly horizontal, and the
tilt of the polarity varies with direction. The vast majority of radiation
from that antenna will be "horizontally" polarized, and at a pretty high
wave angle below 20 meters. Vertical radiation, except off the ends of the
antenna (where even a "normal" dipole has vertical polarity) at high wave
angles, would be negligible.

Never the less, I'd give it a try. No harm in experimenting.

Keep the legs up as high above ground as you can. Letting the far ends get
near the ground would greatly increase loss.

Good luck with the antenna.

73 Tom