[TowerTalk] thimble size

Lowell, Mark mlowell@noclant.navy.mil
Tue, 15 Dec 98 09:49:20 -0400

Greetings!
 I am getting ready to purchase thimbles for my tower and I want to be sure
to get the right size.

I am using 1/4" EHS guy cable, preformed grips, and 1/2" turnbuckles with
forged eyes.

The person I'm buying the grips from recommended a 1/4" thimble for the
1/4" grips. These are standard grips used by a local utility for 1/4" EHS.

However, in the archives, I found:

>1)If cable clamps are used to terminate guy wire, the thimble size is
>1/16" larger than the wire.
>
>2) If preform grips are used, the thimble size is 1/8" larger than the
>wire.
>
>3) If 4000lb Phillystran is used  with Preform Grips, the thimble is
>7/16".
>
>4) If 6700lb Phillystran is used with Preformed Grips, the thimble is
>1/2".
>
>5) If Phillystran is used with cable clamps (highly not recommended) use
>one size smaller than above.
>
>In all cases the heavy duty version of the thimble is used.

This indicates that I need 3/8" thimbles....

Which is correct?

 As long as the inside diameter of the thimble closely matches the OD of
the grip, shouldn't it work well? Or is there a secret to oversizing? Is
this to insure that the opening in the "U"-shaped thimbles is large enough
to pass over a turnbuckle eye?

Thanks,

--...MARK_N1LO...--