[TowerTalk] Coaxial Choke Winding Specifications

Kenneth D. Grimm grimm@lynchburg.net
Tue, 03 Feb 1998 16:21:44 -0500

Bob Perring wrote:

snip...

> Upon making this post last October.............
> I was admonished by, I think, 2 fellows who pointed out to me that the winding diameters that were stipulated "violiated" minimum bending diameters for the specified coaxial cable sizes, which could, perhaps, cause an inner conductor displacement within the dialectric and the braid.
>
> I have never ever experinced any problems such as this, but it was a proper and accurate design parameter to recognize and note.

Oops, I meant to mention this and forgot.  Glad you were listening Bob.

I made a choke using the 4 1/2 in. sewer pipe as a form and Times LMR-400U.  Times Microwave specify the minimum radius for this Ultraflex line as one inch.  While I wouldn't use RG-8 I feel relatively confident using the LMR-400U for the 4 1/2 in. diameter choke.

Ken K4XL
grimm@lynchburg.net