[TowerTalk] Rohn 20G/25G

Dick Flanagan dick@libelle.com
Wed, 4 Feb 1998 08:55:34 -0800

[This is the Word attachment that Jim Jones posted earlier.  Replies to
him, please.]

RADIO RIP-OFF

There seems to be a major rip-off going on with sellers of towers for
amateur use.  It would seem that some dealers have been selling Rohn 20G
and passing it off as 25G.  This could be easily done and the
unsuspecting customer would not have a clue.  The only way that the
average person can tell the difference is the weight.  Rohn 20G weighs
32 pounds per section and the 25G weighs 40 pounds.  I realize that most
people can not tell the difference between 32 and 40 pounds without a
scale, but with this knowledge something could be improvised.  The
reason for the weight differences are the solid rods on the 20G are 9/32
diameter and the rods on the 25G are 5/16 and the tubing side rails are
18 gage and 16 gage respectively.

I do not think that many direct dealers are making this mistake on
purpose.  I think that some where up stream from the dealer the swap is
being made.  The case I have been made aware of could also be just an
isolated incident, but, buyer beware.

If you are going to be buying Rohn tower and find that the 25G is in
fact 20G; DO NOT accuse the dealer of trying to sell the lighter tower
in place of the heavier duty tower.  Just point out the difference and
that you wanted 25G and not 20G.  There is a price difference which will
vary due to quantities ordered by the dealer.

This could be a simple case of some untrained person shipping the
lighter sections by mistake and if this is the case I hope the mistake
is realized by the shipper.

I want to repeat that this could be a simple OOPS by some shipper so DO
NOT accuse anyone of wrong doing.  Just point out the difference and get
what you pay for.  Inspect each section and be sure you know what you
are paying your hard earned cash for is in fact what you are getting.
This is a simple mistake to make as the sections will interchange  and
when stacked in a pickup truck will all look the same at first glance.

Happy tower building.
N6UGH   Jim
tiremart@townsquare.net

--
Dick Flanagan W6OLD CFII Minden, Nevada DM09db (South of Reno)
Visit http://www.qsl.net/w7di/