[TowerTalk] Murch ATU

UpTheTower UpTheTower@aol.com
Fri, 2 Jan 1998 10:14:57 EST

John,
I have used a Murch UT-2000D since purchased new in the early '70's.
These are the mods that I have performed over the years with the tuner:
1. Installed 3-core balun (4:1) in the box and run open wire line to the
tuner.
2. The original rotary inductor core failed so it was replaced with a
Johnson 28mh unit.
3. The counter was replaced with a Groth unit - much smoother action.
4. Installed vernier counters on both variable caps.
Also, the SWR indicator is not very functional. It's easier to use an
external meter.
The transmatch as originally sold was a good product for it's time but
upgraded components do make for a better and smoother operating tuner.
Don't put 1500 watts to the unit as the inductor is very likely to fail.
My experience was that the inductor was the weak link in the tuner.  If
the counter or rotary inductor start to bind, find out why and fix it. I
use the tuner only on the low bands (3.5 to10 mhz) with up to legal
limit power on an 80 meter inverted vee with the apex at 50 feet fed
with a homebrew open wire line spaced at 4 inches. The feedline is about
65 feet long to the tuner.  If your tuner has had little use and is in
good condition, it will serve you well with moderate power.
73 and Happy New Year,
Greg, K7KJ
k7kj@teleport.com