[TowerTalk] Stacked tri-banders vs. Single mono-banders

Dave Raymond-CSUS04 Dave_Raymond-CSUS04@email.mot.com
Fri, 23 Jan 1998 13:11:44 -0600

Well. . . I can't help but jump into the fray.

I have a 3 high stack of TH7s at 40'/80'/120' on a 130' rotating Rohn
55.  I fully realize what the modeling says about stacking distances.
Theoretically, the performance of my stack should not be very good,
particularly F/B on 15 and 10.

All I can say is that I get beat in very few pileups. . . the stack is a
real performer (and I'm not trying to brag).  F/B, even on 10, is very
good (over 20 db).  I have done side by side comparisions with 3 and 4
high stacks of DX Engineering monobanders at our local contest station
with the differences being imperceptible.    With monobanders, I would
have 3 times the number of antennas and probably have to have at least 2
towers (,aybe 3) instead of one. . . that's a lot of hardware.

As ON4UN told me once when I was modeling something that didn't look so
hot, "don't let the modeling numbers necessarily stop you from doing
something. . . they're not always right."

73. . . Dave
W0FLS