[TowerTalk] removal of "push-nuts"

Robin Midgett rmidgett@edge.net
Sat, 24 Jan 1998 17:02:04

Hello Dennis,
I have some VHF/UHF antennas using push nuts also. The most expedient
method of removal is to cut them. Use either a sharp pair of small diagonal
cutters, or a Dremel tool. The nuts are cheap enough to buy from several
sources; I can recommend some if you want. Just buy a box of 100 & keep
them in stock. BTW, stainless steel is the material of choice for these
things.
Good luck!

At 03:23 PM 1/24/98 -0600, you wrote:
>KLM uses "push-nuts" to secure elements to the boom on some VHF/UHF
>antennas.   Elements go through the boom.  You put the push nuts  on the
>end of the element and push it toward the middle, then repeat on the other
>side.  They only go one way, so when you have one on each side, the element
>is secure.
>
>I have a KLM satellite antenna which I want to pack up for awhile.  Is
>there an easy way to remove the push-nuts?  How about a non-destructive
>way?  (Haven't checked the hardware store yet - they may be easily
>replacable.)
>
>I asked KLM, but they haven't gotten back to me yet.
>
>Thanks, 73,
>Dennis Schaefer,  W5RZ
>

>--
>Search:                   http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search

73 de Robin E. Midgett, KB4IDC
EM66se
1/2 of the NT4L Contest Group Rover Team
http://www.telalink.net/~martinbw/vhf/vhf.html