[TowerTalk] Element loading methods

W8JI@aol.com W8JI@aol.com
Sat, 4 Jul 1998 18:39:59 EDT

wa3gin@erols.com
   550 5.7.1 Internet postings via this server not permitted:
towertalk@contesting.com

Hi Dave,

MCI is still not working after days of trouble with e-mail!! This is a AOL
repost,which always  seems to work properly.

> The question for the group is how much better is linear loading, traps,
> or center loading
> both ends of an element over the simple center element loading that
> Mosley used?.

End loading provides the most uniform current distribution. That
causes the highest loop radiation resistance for a given element
size, resulting in the lowest current for a given overall element
length, phase, and and spacing.

The loop radiation resistance progressively decreases and current
levels in the loading system increase as loading is moved towards the
feedpoint.

Maximum loss reduction improvement is about a factor of four when end
is nothing else must change that hurts the system, like increased
inductor losses.

In other words if we have a base loaded vertical, or feedpoint loaded
dipole, and we move the loading system from the feedpoint to the
element end power loss can be reduced by a factor of four times
is that is the only change made.

When comparing a practical linear loading to lumped loading system,
lumped loading is clearly superior for power loss and Q  IF the
resistances are possible with lumped components at HF.

> I've read that linear and center loading is better but can you really
> hear 1db? <:-)

It could be six dB, it depends on the quality of the designs!

Don't write off lumped loading as "less efficient", most of that
stems from folklore and improper or flawed analysis of
various loading systems.

Linear loading, despite claims it is "lossless", is anything but
lossless. Most antennas I've owned and modified were  improved when
"lossless linear loading" was replaced by what are often referred
to a "lossy lumped inductors".

Traps are always somewhat more lossy than an inductor because the
shunt capacitance (used to resonate the trap) increases the
circulating currents and loss in the trap.  Worse yet it does this at
the expense of bandwidth.

There is almost no measurable difference between PROPERLY designed
linear loading and properly designed lumped loading, and either one
can be poor if improperly implemented.

73, Tom W8JI