[TowerTalk] Hy-Gain Towers

Chuck Lewis clewis@ro.com
Thu, 04 Jun 1998 14:58:02 -0500

Dan,

I also have this problem. In my case it's an HG52SS with a similar base.
I obtained the HyGain stress calc sheets from the parts folks at
Hy-Gain, and have had three base legs welded up using info from these
documents. I had a certified welding shop fabricate the three legs from
#8 rebar and steel plate for the tabs. Dimensions and weld
specifications were taken directly from the HyGain sheets. These three
legs cost me around $90 total. My next step is to bolt the legs to the
base of the tower while horizontal and weld the rebar cross ties to the
legs; that way the bolt holes will match when the base section is
removed and buried in the concrete base. This is pretty
simplified...there were a lot of other things I checked in the stress
calcs and some other things to do before welding the three legs into a
base, but you get the idea. Let me know if you want more details. I can
send that directly, or you can give me a call. First thing is to gat
Hygain to send you the installation directions and the stress docs. for
your tower.

In the absence of the real thing from HyGain, the best we can do is try
to copy exactly what they did.

Yes, I know, some will say you can't weld rebar...but that's indeed what
HyGain has done...it's just not as strong as virgin steel. They just
took into account the limitations on strength of welded rebar and made
their design accordingly. The weld safety factor, in this case, even
given the reduced welded rebar strength, is around 11 to 1. So this is
not the weak link in this tower!

Chuck, N4NM