[TowerTalk] ***Fraud Warning****** Fw: PC Mall, Inc.

Tod Olson tao@skypoint.com
Tue, 12 May 1998 08:50:49 -0500

I received the following message this morning. I checked with the
company and found that it is fraudulent. Apparently someone is
seeking to capture credit card numbers using a special contest
currently being conducted by this company. PC MALL sates at their
Web site that they DO NOT request credit card information via
e-mail and any message purportedly from them which requests that
information is a fraudulent message.

I am sending this along to a few reflectors in the hope that it
will save others some concern.

Tod Olson, K0TO

*************   Fraudulent message follows *************

-----Original Message-----
From: modemX2@premiumproducts.com <modemX2@premiumproducts.com>
To: tao@skypoint.com <tao@skypoint.com>
Date: Monday, May 11, 1998 10:44 PM
Subject: PC Mall, Inc.

Dear Internet User,

You're the first person from our list of thousands, to win a FREE
US
Robotics 56K bps with new x2 technology, voice modem from PC
Mall.  PC
Mall has been randomly giving selected internet users FREE 56K x2
bps voice
modems.  To show you, the customer, that PC Mall will be showing
up
everywhere in the future on the Internet.  Our growing area has
nearly
doubled its popularity over the US in the past year, just from
these
contests alone!  In order for you to receive your FREE 56K x2 bps
voice
modem from our company.  We will need you to reply as soon as
possible
in this format:

Name: ____________________
Address: ______________________
City: _____________ State: ___ Zip: _______
Telephone Number: (___) ___-____
Also what version you need IBM or MAC: ____
Your choice of what format Internal or External: ____

We will need you to pay for the Shipping and Handling with your
Credit
Card Only.  For FedEx 2nd Day it is only $10.95.  For UPS
GroundTrac it
is only $3.95.  We will not charge for the shipping until the
item is
shipped.

Please have it in this format:

Shipping & Handling Type: (FedEx, UPS GroundTrac)
Credit Card Type: (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express)
Bank Name (Visa / MasterCard Only): ____________________

Credit Card Number: ____-____-____-____ Exp. Date: __/__
Name that Appears on the Credit Card: ____________________

We want you to take advantage of our kindness.  If you do not
want this
offer please reply to me with the word REMOVE.  Also please visit
our
Internet site <A HREF="http://www.pcmall.com">www.pcmall.com</A>
for
great deals.