[TowerTalk] Tower Questions

Dennis M Allen n9tzl@juno.com
Tue, 12 May 1998 10:07:20 EDT

Hello to All:

I am planning to put up 80-90 feet of Rohn 25 this summer....if all goes
well! This will be used for multiple VHF and UHF antennas, sometimes
multiples. So I will eventually use up the full square footage limit
recommend for this tower at this height. I will  use three sets of guys
set out at approximately the 80% distance of height and use the proper
cement base. At present my thoughts are to end up with at least 15ft. of
mast for mounting antennas.
The location is Northern Illinois...about 15 miles south of the Illnois/
Wisconsin border. I am pretty sure the underneath soil is clay.

There are some things I need to make decisions on before this can happen.

1. Whether to use screw in anchors or regular cement anchors? If screw
anchors are used I would think they should be at least 6ft. long?
Sources?
2. What to use for a top? I do have a 25AG3 but at present I do not
understand the purpose/function of the pointy tops?
3. Should I use a thrust bearing?
4. Why does Rohn always place the top guys 5ft. down from the top? Sure
seems like it would be better to have them closer to the top??

If anybody can share some wisdom on the above questions it would surely
be appreciated.

Thanks,
73, Dennis N9TZL
EN52ri

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]