[TowerTalk] Ameritron Remote Controlled Switches

Steve Gehring, KL7DC gehring@alaska.net
Sun, 08 Nov 1998 18:39:38 -0800

>The N connector models handle less power than standard UHF connector
>models, and the standard cheap SO-239's on the RCS-8V should still be good
>for 5 kW if the load SWR is fairly good. It also has extremely good port to
>port isolation up to 150 MHz.
>
>The RCS-4 is a 1500 watt amplifier type switch..no more no less.
>
>73 Tom

Hi Tom,

Why would UHF connectors handle high power better than N style connectors
in your RCS-8 series coax switch?  Comparing the data I have from Amphenol
on their UHF and N connectors, this might seem otherwise for their
"standard" models.  The voltage rating for the N is far greater, and I'd
like to think both connectors can intermittently handle 10 amps or less of
RF at the 5 KW level or below.

"UHF" Connectors:  rated for 500 V Pk and DC to 300 MHz with their phenolic
model
vs.
"N" Connectors:  rated for 1,500 V Pk and DC to 11 GHz for their TFE model

Has your experience at these power levels shown otherwise?

73 de Steve