[TowerTalk] True North thread

Barry Oliver Barry Oliver" <barryo@msn.com
Wed, 11 Nov 1998 22:03:32 -0800

Hmmm... I used declination too. My limited knowledge of it all comes from
wandering the world in the pointed end of jets. Wonder if some terms are
specific to different industries?

In aviation, the angular difference between magnetic and true north is
usually called variation but declination is heard too. The error that cannot
be compensated out of a magnetic compass is called deviation and may be
different on various headings. Deviation is specific to one compass
installation and there is a deviation card attached to the compass.


True Virgins Make Dull Companions.
True course +/- Variation = Magnetic course +/- Deviation = Compass course.
Compass course is the one you actually fly.


FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/towertalkfaq.html
Submissions:              towertalk@contesting.com
Administrative requests:  towertalk-REQUEST@contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-towertalk@contesting.com
Search:                   http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search.htm